Introduction to R with ggplot2
This repository has teaching materials for a 2-3 hour, hands-on Introduction to R workshop led at a quick pace. The workshop will give participants an overview of the basics of R and RStudio. R is a simple programming environment that enables the effective handling of data, while providing excellent graphical support. RStudio is a tool that provides a user-friendly environment for working with R.
These materials are intended to provide a quick overview of the R programming language and plotting with the ggplot2 package.
- R syntax: Understanding the different ‘parts of speech’ in R; introducing variables and functions, demonstrating how functions work, and modifying arguments for specific use cases.
- Data structures in R: Getting a handle on the classes of data structures and the types of data used by R.
- Data inspection and wrangling: Reading in data from files. Using indices and various functions to subset, merge, and create datasets.
- Visualizing data: Visualizing data using plotting functions from the ggplot2 package.
- Exporting data and graphics: Generating new data tables and plots for use outside of the R environment.
These materials are developed for a trainer-led workshop, but also amenable to self-guided learning.
|Introduction to R and RStudio||20 min|
|Syntax and data structures||20 min|
|Functions, arguments, packages and seeking help in R||20 min|
|Data wrangling||45 min|
|Data visualization with ggplot2||45 min|
Download the most recent versions of R and RStudio for your laptop: